There are 2 differences:
1 - Subject material:
The College Board administers the CLEP exams.
- CLEP offers 33 exams in five subject areas: History & Social Sciences, Composition & Literature, Science & Mathematics, Business and World Languages. These are taught in courses that you may generally take in your first two years of college.
Prometric administers the DSST exams.
- DSST offers a suite of more than 30 exams in college subjects areas such as Social Sciences, Math, Applied Technology, Business and Physical Sciences and Humanities.
2 - Registration:
- For CLEP, students must first create an account with the College Board and register online.
- For DSST, students must go Prometric's DSST website for information and find a test center to complete registration.
You should consult with your school advisor to ensure the exam you want to take aligns with your curriculum needs and will be accepted for credit by your school. DANTES funds the fees of these tests for military members, saving the cost of tuition assistance and GI Bill benefits.
- Find answers - get started. Download the MyVolEdPath Mobile App
- Follow us on Facebook
- Learn more - DANTES4Military Service member Blog
- Start your education journey with DANTES - Youtube.com/DoDDANTES